Key Swarthmore Documents
Academic Assessment Committee 2011-12 Recommended Changes to Academic Assessment Plan [pdf]
Guidance from Provost Thomas Stephenson to department chairs to clarify the Course Evaluation policy. Guidance on Course Evaluations [pdf].
Swarthmore College 2009 Middle States Reaccreditation
Swarthmore College 2014 Middle States Periodic Review Report
Current draft of Swarthmore College Institutional Level Goals for Student Learning
Handouts shared at Swarthmore meetings
Academic Assessment Liaison Lunches, Fall 2013.
- At our September 30, 2013 lunch we spent time discussing projects in small groups, briefly reviewed Middle States and College expectations, and had a discussion about the Draft Institutional Goals for Student Learning, which the Provost recently sent to departments for their input. Slides: Liaison Lunch 2013-09-30 - College Assessment Plan [pdf]. Handout: College Assessment Plan and Liaisons- summary 2013-09-30[pdf].
Academic Assessment Liaison Lunches, Spring 2013.
- Scoring Guides and Rubrics, February [pdf].
- Expectations and Examples, March [pdf].
- Our April 1 lunch "All about YOU!" was discussion based. We shared the listing of departmental projects (available internally only), heard from Eric Jensen, Physics & Astronomy, on the department's project "Evaluating the 'reasonableness' of problem solutions," and discussed the challenges that departments are facing.
- Making Sense of the Evidence, April 29. This session used actual scored rubrics from one of our departments to explore ways of summarizing and using assessment information. Handouts are availble for internal use only, and were sent to Liaisons on 4/29.
Faculty Lunch on Assessment: Now What? (Patrricia Reilly and Robin Shores), November 9, 2012.
- Writing Meaningful and Measurable Objectives [pdf]
- Direct and Indirect Assessment [pdf] (This is a document entitled "Evidence of Student Learning" from Middle States, with lots of examples of direct and indirect assessment.)
Meetings between Provost's Office (Tom Stephenson, Patricia Reilly, and Robin Shores) with Divisional Chairs, Fall 2011
- Articulating Goals and Objectives for Student Learning [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Swarthmore Department of Computer Science [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Swarthmore Department of Educational Studies [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Bryn Mawr Department of English [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Swarthmore Department of English Literature [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Bryn Mawr Department of Geology [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Haverford Department of Psychology [pdf]
- Student Learning Goals — Bryn Mawr Department of Sociology [pdf]
"Faculty Lunch on Assessment: Now What?" [pdf] Workshop offered by Patrricia Reilly, Associate Provost, and Robin Huntington Shores, Director of Institutional Research, November 9, 2012. (Handouts have been included with slide presentation.)
"Myths and Facts about Middle States and Assessment" [pdf] Faculty lunch presentation by Ellen Magenheim, Professor and Department Chair of Economics and Robin Huntington Shores, Director of Institutional Research, November 16, 2011. (Speaker notes have been incorporated into slide presentation.)
"Assessment for Administrative Departments" [pdf] Staff Development Week presentation by Robin Huntington Shores, Director of Institutional Research, January 2010. (Speaker notes have been incorporated into slide presentation.)
Rubrics Presentation at Tri-College retreat [pdf] for our Teagle Foundation Systematic Improvement Grant: Sustainable Department-Level Assessment of Student Learning at Haverford College, by Robin Huntington Shores, Director of Institutional Research, January 26, 2010.
Assessing Student Learning and Institutional Effectiveness: Understanding Middle States Expectations [pdf]