For Families Living Inside the U.S.
If you wish to be considered for Swarthmore College scholarships, along with federal or state grants, loans, or campus work opportunities for the 2014-15 academic year, you and your parents (and stepparents, if any) must complete our financial aid application. (However, if you wish to apply for federal aid only, complete just the federal FAFSA form.)
If you prefer, you can also print out more detailed instructions [pdf]
This documentation must be submitted on or before April 30, 2014.
Click on each line to expand more detailed information. Mail the following forms to the Financial Aid Office. Do not use IDOC.
- Swarthmore Financial Aid Request form
- Parents'(and stepparents')2013 federal tax return
- A signed photocopy of your mother's and father's (and stepparent's, if any)
2013 federal income tax return ALL pages and schedules. Do not send any 2013 or estimated documents nor any
state tax returns for any year.
- Parents' (and stepparents') 2013 federal W2 or 1099 statements
- The 2013 Form 1099 statement details income for contract earnings, retirement, pension, annuity, Social Security income (needed for all household members), unemployment benefits, or disability benefits. (Do not send us any Form 1099 forms related to 2013 interest or dividend income.)
- Parents' (and stepparents') 2013 final paycheck stubs
- This is not the same as the W2 wage statement-both documents are required to complete your aid application. Sometimes called "pay advice" or "pay statement" by employers; photocopies of your mother's and father's (and stepparent's, if any)
year-end, final 2013 paycheck stubs are needed. This document will detail all taxed and untaxed compensation as well as all deductions for the full 2013 year. It may be a photocopy of an actual paycheck stub or a copy of an on-line full year 2013 summary from employer's website.
- Non-Custodial Parent Statement
- If parents are divorced, separated or were never married, your non-custodial parent must complete and submit the Non-Custodial Parent Statement [pdf] form along with the 2013 federal tax and income information listed above.
- 2013 Business/Farm Supplement form and 2013 federal business tax returns
- If either parent (or stepparent, if any) has any interest or any involvement in a corporation or in a partnership, a photocopy of that business' 2013 federal tax return is needed-all pages and schedules (not just the K-1 forms) as well as the Business/Farm Supplement form.
Submit the following application materials online
- PROFILE-College Board online form
- FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid online form
- FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid online form which is available beginning January 1st
- This form is simple, but should you need help, view this video tutorial entitled, " The 5 Minute FAFSA".
- As part of the FAFSA form, within both the Parent (PI) and Student Income sections (SI), complete the IRS Data Retrieval process to import your IRS reported tax and income information.
- The video tutorial will provide help with the 2014-15 IRS Data Retrieval process:
For Families Living Outside the US
- Swarthmore Financial Aid Request Form for Families living outside the U.S.
- Mail the Financial Aid Request Form [pdf] directly to the Swarthmore College Financial Aid Office, 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, PA 19081, along with the required additional income information listed below
- A letter from each parent's employer stating, in English the parent's gross salary
- A letter from each parent's employer, stating, in English, the parent's gross salary, before any deductions, and the value of other benefits, subsidies, or perquisites for the period Jan 1, 2013 - Dec 31, 2013.
- Business Farm Supplement for Those Living Outside the U.S.(if applicable)
- Outside Business Farm Supplement [pdf]
- The form is required for either parent, or stepparent, who is self-employed or has ANY interest or involvement in a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship or working farm.
- For American's Abroad
- U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents must provide a photocopy of parents' 2013 U.S. federal tax returns (all pages and schedules personal and business), and also complete and submit a federal FAFSA application to the U S. Department of Education.The federal FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Do not complete a CSS/PROFILE form if your parents live and earn outside the United States.
- Please tell us the amount you would like to borrow through the federal Direct Stafford Loan program for the 2014-15 academic year?