2016-17 Financial Aid Application Instructions

For Transfer applicants

Submit all documents by April 30.

To be considered for Swarthmore College scholarships, along with federal or state grants, loans, or campus work opportunities, you and your parents must complete our financial aid application.

When parents are not together, whether because they were never married or are separated or are divorced, we consider their financial situations separately. If a parent has remarried, your stepparent's income and tax information is also required.

Your financial aid decision will be made available with your admission decision if we receive a complete financial aid application by April 30

(If you wish to apply for federal aid only, complete just the FAFSA from after January 1, 2016.)

College Board CSS/PROFILE

Complete and submit your 2016-17 CSS/PROFILE on-line

2016-17 FAFSA form

Available January 1, your federal FAFSA form is to be completed
on-line once your parents complete their 2015 federal income tax return.

The documents listed below are to be submitted to the College Board’s Institutional Documentation service (IDOC). After February 1, 2016 or a few days after you submit your PROFILE form, you will receive an email from the College Board, on behalf of Swarthmore College, detailing the family income, tax, and other documents you need to submit to us through the IDOC service. Access the IDOC instructions.


Submit all pages/schedules/statements of 2015 federal income tax return (Please DO NOT submit state tax returns).

PARENTS’ 2015 W-2 WAGE and
Form 1099

Submit all W-2 wage statements used to complete parents’ 2015 federal tax return.
Include Form 1099 income statements for any income from contract earnings, retirement, pension, annuity, unemployment benefits, disability benefits, or Social Security (for all household members).
Please DO NOT submit any Form 1099 for interest or dividends.


Required if either parent (or stepparent) has any interest or any involvement in a partnership or a corporation.
All pages/schedules/statements are required. 
Please DO NOT submit the business’ state tax return.

If your parents do not live together, this form must be completed by the parent with whom you do not live.
You will find instructions about how to forward this form to your non-custodial parent after you submit your
custodial parent's CSS/PROFILE form online.

NONCUSTODIAL PARENT'S 2015 income and tax documents (if applicable)

Your non-custodial parent/stepparent is required to submit photocopies of 2015 income and tax documents detailed above through the IDOC service.
Once the noncustodial parent's PROFILE is submitted, instructions will be provided for submitting their tax and income information to the IDOC service.