Writing Center Guidelines
This page is designed to answer common questions about Writing Center policies. If you have any additional questions, please email us.
- While we're happy to discuss grammar if you have questions about it, our job is not to proofread your paper.
- We are only able to accept papers up to 10 pages long, double-spaced, and with normal margins. If your paper is longer than that, you may mark off smaller sections for the WA to look at. If you plan ahead, you can often get the entire paper read over a few days.
- We will read the same paper only twice in one week, and we will read only one paper per student during a single evening or afternoon.
- If you have scheduled an appointment in advance, we will need to have your paper submitted to us before 12:45 p.m. (for afternoon conferences) or 6:45 p.m. (for evening conferences). These are the deadlines regardless of the specific time of your appointment. If we have not received your paper by this deadline, your appointment will be canceled, and you will have to try and reschedule.
- For walk-ins, we are first-come, first-served, but we will do everything we can to make sure your paper is looked at in a timely manner.
- Please note that if you are more than fifteen minutes late for your conference, you will forfeit your conference for the evening.
- We will work with you on take-home exams, as long as you have permission from your professor to receive outside help. It is your responsibility to check your professor's policy on this.
- We do not share our records with professors, so your visit is confidential. Any information we take from you is only used in calculating our statistics.