Finding Aids for Organizational Records at Friends Historical Library
Friends Historical Library holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
- The finding aids may be opened in the Internet Explorer (5+) or Mozilla browsers. Click on underlined links to open finding aids. Researchers are reminded that the original materials may only be consulted in the Library and are not available through inter-Library loan.
Abington Friends School was established by Abington Monthly Meeting in the latter part of the eighteenth century as a day school. The account book covers the period 1828-1842. Pupil's names are given with the status of their payments, etc.
Call number: RG4/001
All American Friends Conference (1929) was a conference of Quakers from the United States and Canada which was held in Oskaloosa, Iowa, in September 1929. This collection contains a journal kept by Rebecca Thomas Miller, program, list of participants, pictures, and other records relating to the Conference.
Call number: RG4/002
The American Friends Fellowship Council had its origin in the Fellowship Committee of the American Friends Service Committee. Founded in 1933, its primary purpose was to foster an increased interest in Quakerism throughout the United States and to draw all Friends groups into closer sympathy and fellowship. The Fellowship Council merged with the Friends World Committee, American Section, in 1954. The collection includes correspondence and administrative records, minutes, financial statements, membership lists, publicity, correspondence about new meetings, Intervisitation, and Wider Quaker Fellowship, 1933-1954.
Call number: RG4/004
Records of American Friends Service Committee, Committee on Rights of Conscience, 1955-1962, including minutes and other supporting documents. Persons represented include Faith Bissell, Miriam E. Brailey, Harrop Freeman, Frederick Fuges, Alan Howe, Mary Knowles, Patrick M. Malin, Roland Pennock, Sara Pickus, Harry B. Sprogell, Frederick B. Tolles, and John T. Watkins.
Call number: RG4/006
The Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer was a Quaker women's organization founded in 1818 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to provide relief for impoverished sick children and their mothers from the crowding and oppressive heat during the summer months. The collection contains minutes, 1818-1854 (gap 1819-1821) and other records, including acting committee minutes and workbook, 1843-1851.
Call number: RG4/007
The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as "The Shelter, " was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pennsylvania, adjoining the property of Cheyney Training School for Teachers (now Cheyney University) and became a home for girls, known variously as the Shelter for Colored Orphans and the Shelter for Colored Children. In 1965, its name was changed to "Friends Shelter for Girls, " and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenage girls, offering training and psychological support. It continued operation until 1981 when it ceased to function as a group home. It was succeeded by the Friends Association for the Care and Protection of Children which functioned as an emergency shelter. The collection includes charter, minutes of the Board, financial records, register of children, and some correspondence.
Call number: RG4/008
The Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons was a Quaker organization organized in 1789 in Philadelphia to operate a charity school for black adults. The Association provided free adult education to blacks until 1904 when it was dissolved and its assets were transferred to the Institute for Colored Youth. This collection contains minutes, financial records, and some correspondence of the Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons and its predecessors, the Society of the Free Instruction of the Black People, the Society for the Free Instruction of African Females, and the Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Colored Women.
Call number: RG4/009
The Trustees for Friends' Meeting House and Lots at Atlantic City was a self-perpetuating and independent board of trustees which held title to the properties in which Atlantic City Friends Meeting and Atlantic City Friends School were held. The School was financially sound until the early 1970s when its fortunes paralleled the decline of Atlantic City. By the early 1980s, the board of managers of the School had decided that a move out of Atlantic City was essential because it could no longer attract students to the downtown casino area. In 1986, a new campus was proposed for a location in Egg Harbor Township, and the School left Atlantic City for temporary quarters. It was laid down in 1988 due to poor enrollment. Contains the records, 1872-1976, of the Trustees for Friends' Meeting House and Lots at Atlantic City, N.J., and the records, 1986-1991, of the committee of the board of managers of Atlantic City Friends School which tried to save the School and move it to a more accessible location outside Atlantic City. Records are lacking between 1976 and 1986.
Call number: RG4/113. Inventory available in the repository.
The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the Beaver Valley General Hospital. The group was dissolved in 1977. Contains the records of the Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton, including minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other related papers, including minutes of the District Nurse Association of New Brighton, 1907-1912.
Call number: RG4/72
The Benezet House Association, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was formed in 1917 to assist and educate the City's poor blacks and immigrants. It was created by the merger of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for blacks founded in 1865; Anthony Benezet School, founded in 1795 as the School for Black People and their Descendants (also known as the Raspberry Street School); and Western District Colored School, founded 1848 under the care of 12th Street Meeting as a graded primary school. This collection also contains records of the Locust Street Mission Association, the Joseph Sturge Mission School, and the Beehive School for Colored Children.
Call number: RG4/10
The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply Friends and others with the Holy Scripture "to encourage "the frequent and serious perusal of them" and to promote "a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents." All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body, which in turn provided the Auxiliary with Bibles to sell or to distribute in their vicinity. According to the Annual Reports of the Bible Association of Friends in America, the Bucks Auxiliary ceased to operate in 1857. This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, reports and financial records of the Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, together with a manuscript genealogy of the Moon family.
Call number: RG4/11
The Burlington First-Day School Union was a Hicksite Quaker organization established in 1888. It included representatives from nine First-Day schools in Burlington and Mercer Counties, New Jersey, who met quarterly to discuss issues of common concern. Included are minutes of the Union, 1894-1902, and reports from First-day schools at Trenton, Upper Springfield, Mount Holly, Crosswicks, Mansfield, Mount, East Branch, Rancocas, and Vincentown.
Call number: RG4/78
Byberry Hall Association was organized in 1854 when the citizens of Byberry Township, Pennsylvania, and vicinity decided to form a company for the purpose of erecting a building where residents could meet to hear lectures, hold elections, and other activities. The collection includes the secretary's book containing minutes, 1854-1905; account books, deeds, and miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/12
Byberry Library Company was founded in 1794 and incorporated in 1799. Located in the Byberry section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Library was generally under Quaker management. The collection includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/13
The Byberry School Association was formed in 1837 by several members of the Society of Friends, mostly members of Byberry Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) for the purpose of raising stock to buy land and erect a secondary school in Byberry, Pennsylvania. It includes minutes, financial records, and some miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/14
The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.
Call number: RG4/15
The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated in 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records include financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical documents concerning the organization. More than half of the records pertain to some financial aspect of the organization. Though the time scope of the file encompasses the organization's inception (1861) through the late 1960s, the majority of the materials are from the beginning to the middle part of the 20th century.
Call number: RG4/100
The Chester Friends' Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book containing minutes, constitution, and by-laws.
Call number: RG4/16
The Convention of Delegates was an association of seven Hicksite Yearly Meetings who managed Indian affairs in the Northern Superintendency during the period of President U.S. Grant's "Peace Policy." The collection contains correspondence and reports of Indian agents, extracts from minutes and reports, financial records, legislative documents, and printed materials published by the convention. Persons represented include William Burgess, John G. Gasmann, Albert L. Green, Samuel M. Janney, M.B. Kent, Thomas Lightfoot, William H. Macy, Dillwyn Parrish, B. Rush Roberts, Joseph Webster, Barclay White, and Howard White.
Call number: RG4/17
The Deptford Free School Society was a Quaker organization which established and operated the Deptford Free School in Woodbury, New Jersey. The collection includes minutes, 1774-1893.
Call number: RG4/77
Evangelical Friends Association: See RG5/33: Carlisle G. Davidson Papers
Fair Hill Burial Ground was established on land bequeathed by George Fox in 1690 to Friends in Pennsylvania, including six acres "for a meeting house and school house and a burying place." Part of the land was set aside as a burial ground as early 1707, but there were few interments. In 1818 the Fair Hill property was assigned to Green Street Monthly Meeting. In 1830, it was proposed that a burial ground be established for three Hicksite Philadelphia Monthly meetings: Philadelphia, Spruce Street, and Green Street. Title was to be held by Green Street, with the cemetery initially under the care of a joint committee from the three meetings. In 1985, the property was sold to Ephesians Baptist Church, with the original records to be retained by the Green Street Monthly Meeting. In March 1993, Fair Hill Burial Ground was incorporated, and in the same year, the property was purchased by the Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, which now owns and maintains the burial ground. The collection contains the records of Fair Hill Burial Ground, originally overseen by a committee of Hicksite Friends from the three Philadelphia Monthly Meeting and the land owned by Green Street Monthly Meeting. Collection includes burial registers, lot records, publications, and other related items.
Call number: RG4/69
Contains the records of the Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia and some of its affiliated and predecessor organizations, particularly Friends Suburban Housing, Inc. Friends Suburban Housing, Inc., was a non-discriminatory real estate brokerage firm in the Philadelphia suburbs, founded in 1956 by a group of concerned individuals, mostly Quakers who worked towards racial intergration in housing. In 1963, its name was changed to Suburban Fair Housing. Margaret H. Collins was executive secretary of the company, which ended operation in 1976 as fair housing laws were strengthened. In 1962, the Fair Housing Council of Delaware Valley, an interfaith and interorganizational body, was founded, and its name was subsequently changed to the Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia. Records include minutes, case files, financial and legal papers.
Call number: RG4/112.
The Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts was founded in 1993 "to nurture and showcase the literary, visual, musical and performing arts within the Society of Friends, for the purpose of Quaker expression, ministry, witness and outreach," according to the group's mission statement. The collection contains the records of the Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts from its founding in 1993 through 1998, including administrative documents and member information.
Call number: RG4/109.
The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It went out of existence in 1975.
Call number: RG4/18
Fowler Orphanage (later Fowler Home for Girls) in Egypt, was founded in 1906 with money collected by John and Esther Fowler, both members of the Society of Friends. The Fowler Orphanage Association, afiliated with Ohio Yearly Meeting (Conservative), was formed in 1927 to provide support and met yearly until it was laid down in 1987. Collection includes minutes of the Association as well as related correspondence, financial records, and photographs.
Call number: RG4/123
The collection contains records related to the publication of the Quaker periodical, Friendly Woman. Friendly Woman is a quarterly journal focusing on Quaker women's concerns and experiences. It was begun as a newsletter in 1974 at the conclusion of a women's conference held at Pendle Hill, the Quaker study center. Editorial responsibility for Friendly Woman is transferred every two years to a different Quakers women's group in a different city. The periodical contains essays, fiction, poetry, commentary, and art.
Call number: RG4/87
The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pennsylvania, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Call number: RG4/19
The Friends Boarding House Association was incorporated in 1877 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with the purpose of establishing a boarding home for Quakers and others. A home was first operated at 1623 Filbert Street, and, in 1894, it was moved to 1708 Race Street. The Association was dissolved in 1913 with the establishment of a Boarding Home under the care of the Quarterly Meeting. Property was transferred to the Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting Committee on Homes for Aged and Infirm Friends, and the remaining funds were transferred to the Philadelphia Young Friends Association. The collection contains records of the Friends Boarding House Association, 1877-1913, including legal papers, minutes and other documents.
Call number: RG4/84
Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown, Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Call number: RG4/20
The Friends Boarding House in Trenton, New Jersey, was established in 1898 by the Burlington Quarterly Meeting, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite). Its purpose was to provide an inexpensive, permanent home for aging Quakers and others. The House provided a room, meals, and a safe, friendly environment for elderly who did not require medical care at a very low cost. The number of residents averaged between ten and twenty residents. It was under the care of a Housing Committee appointed by the Burlington Quarterly Meeting and also had a Board of Managers. Friends Boarding House in Trenton was laid down by the Quarterly Meeting in 1985. This collection contains the records of the Friends Boarding Home, including Board minutes, financial records, and miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/89
The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, Pennsylvania, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. It was named The Hickman Memorial in honor of Nathaniel Hickman and his brother, Samuel G. Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which are restricted.
Call number: RG4/81
The Friends Book Association of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated in 1873 by Hicksite Quakers to operate stores for the sale of Quaker Books and to subsidize the publication and reprinting of important Quaker books. It ceased operation in 1908. The collection contains minutes, committee reports, correspondence, financial and legal papers.
Call number: RG4/21
Friends' Central School was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a Quaker secondary school by a joint committee of three Hicksite monthly meetings (Society of Friends). It was first located at 4th and Cherry Sts. In 1857, it was moved to 15th and Race Sts., and in 1925, it was moved to its present location in Overbrook, Pa. The current academic program includes grades K-12. The collection contains minutes of the Friends' Central School and Friends' Central School System and related papers.
Call number: RG4/22
Friends Circle, a Quaker study and social group, was established in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1884. The group met regularly to discuss topics of mutual interest. The collection contains four volumes of bound minutes (1884-1885), (1885-1888), (1888-1894), (1894-1896).
Call number: RG4/80
Friends Committee on Unity with Nature (FCUN) grew out of the Workshop on Living in Harmony with the Natural Environment at the FGC Gathering at Oberlin in 1987. In 2001, sixteen North American yearly meetings appointed representatives to its Annual Meeting. The group publishes a newsletter, BeFriending Creation. The collection contains minutes, 1987-2002.
Call number RG4/104.
This collection contains the records of the Friends Conference on Religion and Psychology, primarily from the years 1943 to 1997. The Conference was originally founded as a way of addressing the spiritual turmoil people were feeling during World War II. It continues to examine the way Jungian psychology interacts with Quaker beliefs at its annual three-day conference. The collection includes member lists, meeting minutes, conference handouts and evaluations, speaker topics, a few photographs, and correspondence.
Call number: RG4/93
The Friends Employment Society was founded in 1862 in New York City by Hicksite women as the Women's Association of Friends for the Employment and Relief by Clothing of the Suffering Poor. Incorporated in 1902, it provided employment for the working poor by providing sewing projects. In 1948 it revised its charter to state its "purpose of giving help to needy people, through contributions to other charitable organizations." This collection contains minutes and financial and other records from 1862 to 1948.
Call number: RG4/98
The Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns (FLGC) is a national Quaker-affiliated group of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and sympathetic others which was founded in 1971. Originally named the Committee on Concern, Ron Mattson published the newsletter from 1973-1975. Arthur Gross took over as editor in 1975, and the group was renamed the Friends Committee for Gay Concerns. Bruce Grimes assumed the editorship after 1976. In 1978 the name was changed to Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns. The collection included clerks' correspondence, publication files, financial records, miscellaneous resource files, and conference records. Topics of particular interest include same-sex marriage and the gay rights movement within the Society of Friends.
Call number: RG4/91
Friends' Freedmen's was an organization of Philadelphia Quakers founded in 1863 as Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity, for the Relief of Colored Freemen. Its purpose was to provide relief and education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. The name was changed circa 1873. From 1947-1955 the Association supported black students in schools and summer work camps. From 1955-1970 the income from investments was used to provide grants for scholarship to needy black students. From 1970 income and principal was distributed yearly primarily among Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Guilford, and Haverford Colleges. In January 1982, the Association was dissolved. The funds were distributed among the four colleges named above to be used as aid to black students as the J. Henry Scattergood Scholarship Fund. The collection contains the records of the Friends' Freedmen's Association, including minutes, charter, by-laws, minutes, reports, and publications. Also includes material relating to the Association's initial efforts to provide relief and instruction to newly freed slaves in the South, its subsequent development of school for the children of freedmen, its support and management the Christiansburg Industrial Institute, Cambria, Va., and its more recent efforts to support education for blacks at various colleges.
Call number: RG4/24
The Friends General Conference was organized in 1900 as the representative body of seven yearly meetings of Hicksite Friends: Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Genesee, and Ohio. Since 1955, with the reunification of Philadelphia, New York, Canada (Genesee) and Baltimore yearly meetings and the new membership of additional yearly meetings, Friends General Conference has increased its constituency. At present (1984) FGC includes eleven yearly meetings in North America: Philadelphia, Illinois, Lake Erie, Northern, Ohio Valley and South Central, as well as Baltimore, Canadian, New England, New York and Southeastern which are also associated with Friends United Meeting. The FGC is organized into an operating committee, the Central Committee of One Hundred, and program committees. The Central Committee has the general responsibility for all concerns and activities. The Executive Committee, appointed by the Central Committee, is responsible for the budget and coordination of the programs. The names of the program committees have changed over the years, but they generally reflect the original concerns of the Conference: First Day schools, philanthropy, religion and education. The collection is divided into administrative committee records and program committee records, and includes minutes, reports, some financial papers and correspondence. Records of the founding conferences are included.
Call number: RG4/25
Friends Historical Association is an organization that promotes research and publication on topics in Quaker history. Membership and editorial offices are located at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges. Records of the organization after 1965 are at Haverford College.
Call number: RG4/26
This collection contains the records of Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, Quaker reference library and archives, founded in 1871. Included are administrative records and correspondence, primarily that of the librarians and other staff, and miscellaneous records.
Call number: RG4/27
Friends' Home for Children ("Friendly Acres") was established in 1881 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. Young children, generally between the ages of five and twelve, came under the care of the Home until their situation allowed them to find a permanent home or foster home, or be placed in an apprenticeship or other educational program. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. While maintaining ties to the Society of Friends, the Home became non-sectarian over the years. As attitudes towards the care of children changed and costs soared, it was decided in 1979 to phase out the residential program, and the name was changed to Friendly Acres Community Services with its mission focused on community programs such as day care and senior services. In 1988, Friendly Acres Community Services merged with the Community Y of Eastern Delaware County, another community service organization. With this merger, Friends' Home for Children and its successor, Friendly Acres Community Services, ceased to exist.
Call number: RG4/86
This collection contains the records, 1966-1975, of Friends Housing, Inc., a non-profit Quaker organization founded in 1966 to aid in the rehabilitation of low income housing in the Mantua section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The records include minutes and reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Call number: RG4/30
Friends' Indian Aid Association of Philadelphia was an organization of Hicksite Quakers in Philadelphia founded in 1869 to solicit donations of money and goods to distribute to the Indian tribes in Nebraska assigned to the care of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) during the period of Grant's peace policy. The collection includes reports and minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and lists of goods.
Call number: RG4/31
Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as "A Mothers Meeting." Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was to provide poor women regardless of race, religion or nationality with the life skills to improve their condition and to furnish them with clothing. The group was disbanded in December 1891 because of declining numbers and because its mission was being fulfilled by other charitable organizations. The collection includes minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws.
Call number: RG4/028.
The collections contains the records, 1885-1944, of the Executive Committee, Friends Intelligencer Associates, the group which managed and edited the Hicksite Quaker periodical, Friends Intelligencer from 1920 to 1955. Includes minutes, 1916-19, miscellaneous papers including financial statement, 1885-1930, and mailing list to 1944.
Call number: RG4/029
Contains the reference files collected and assembled by American Friends Service Committee over many years to keep it informed of parallel service work by British and Irish Friends. Includes minutes, reports, and related papers of Friends' War Victims' Relief Committee, Friends' Council for International Service, Friends Service Council, and other Quaker relief agencies, mostly under the direction of London and Dublin Yearly Meetings.
Call number: RG4/32
Friends Journal Records. See: Friends Publishing Corporation Records.
The Friends Literary and Library Association was a Hicksite Quaker organization formed in New York City in 1880 to provide the opportunity for mutual improvement in religious and literary subjects. Records from 1880 to 1906 include minutes, treasurers' records, and library catalogues.
Call number: RG4/96
Friends Medical Society is an informal association established in 1950 to voice Quaker concerns in the field of medicine, and, more specifically, to act as a medical and advisory resource for the American Friends Service Committee and other national and international medical programs. The collection contains minutes of the annual meetings (1950-1951, 1971-1982), correspondence (1950-1983), and some miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/34
Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.
Call number: RG4/35
Friends Opportunity in the Orient was an unofficial Hicksite organization which sponsored a Quaker teacher in Canton, China, in the 1920s. The collection contains primarily correspondence with Margaret Hallowell Riggs, who was sponsored to teach at Canton Christian College and Canton Hospital.
Call number: RG4/36
The primary activity of the Friends Publishing Corporation is Friends Journal. The latter is a Quaker periodical, the successor to The Friend, the serial published by the Orthodox Quakers (1827-1955) and Friends Intelligencer, published by the Hicksite Quakers (1844-1955). It was established as a result of the merger of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings, and the first consolidated issue was dated July 2, 1955. Originally published weekly and then bi-weekly, it became a monthly periodical in 1988.
Call number: RG4/33
Friends Reading Circle of Media was a Quaker book group established in 1877 in Media, Pennsylvania, for the purpose of discussing Quaker and other religious writings and as a social gathering for Friends. This collection contains its minutes, 1877-1891. Also included are minutes of the Friends Reading Circle for the Northern District, 1875-1876, whose secretary, Elton B. Gifford, moved to the Media area in 1877.
Call number: RG4/70
The Friends Sesqui-Centennial Commission was an organization involved with coordinating Quaker activities relating to the sesquicentennial celebration of the American Revolution in 1926 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The collection contains a minute book containing committee and treasurer's reports, registration books, printed material and other records.
Call number: RG4/37
Friends Social Lyceum, a Quaker social and study group, was established by 1872 in Wilmington, Delaware. This collection contains the minutes, 1872-1881, in two bound volumes.
Call number: RG4/71
Friends Social Union was a Hicksite Quaker social club established in 1907 in Ambler, Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes, 1907 1924.
Call number: RG4/38
Friends Social Union was a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, social club for Quaker men founded in 1924. The records include by-laws, minutes, and other records, 1924 1970.
Call number: RG4/39
Records of the Friends Temperance Union of New York, a Quaker organization which promoted abstinence from all alcohol. It was founded in 1876 and ceased to meet after 5/1898. Includes Minutes (3/5/1876 to 12/12/1880), Executive Committee minutes, (9/1876 to 11/1880), Treasurer's book, (4/1876 - 9/1905), and miscellaneous papers.
Call number: RG4/94
Friends World College was conceived as an accredited, co-educational, degree-granting liberal arts college combining a residence program with the opportunity for foreign travel and study. Planned as a "college without walls," it was sponsored by the New York Yearly Meeting and opened in September 1965. It was merged into Long Island University in 1991. Series 1 and 2, which includes the early history of the College and the minutes of the Committee on a Friends College and the Trustees of the College, 1958-1982, were compiled and bound by George Nicklin. Also included in these bound volumes are correspondence and related papers. Series 3 is composed of a subsequent deposit of correspondence and legal papers relating to the transfer and sale of assets and the resulting lawsuits.
Call number: RG4/82
Friends World College was conceived as an accredited, co-educational, degree-granting liberal arts college combining a residence program with the opportunity for foreign travel and study. Planned as a "college without walls," it was sponsored by the New York Yearly Meeting and opened in September 1965. It was merged into Long Island University in 1991. Mary-Cushing Niles (1900-1993) was a management expert and member of Stony Run Monthly Meeting. She served on the Board of the College from 1965-1992. The collection contains Mary-Cushing Niles's files pertaining to all aspects of Friends World College.
Call number: RG4/116
Friends World Committee for Consultation. Section of the Americas Records, 1933-2012 Friends World Conference Committee, sponsored by the Fellowship Council of the American Friends Service Committee, was established in 1932 to promote better understanding among Friends world wide. The representatives at the Second World Conference of Friends, held at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges, Pa., in 1937, approved the establishment of a continuing international organization, a Friends World Committee, to promote international contacts and cooperation among Friends. In 1958, it was formalized as Friend World Committee for Consulation which meets triennially at different locations all over the world. FWCC's World Office is in London, England, and it has four sections: Africa, Americas, Asia and West Pacific, and Europe amd Middle East. FWCC's Section of the Americas is based in Philadelphia, Pa. This collection contains the records of the office of Friends World Committee for Consultation. Section of the Americas.
Call number: RG1/01
The Gibbons Home was a residential home in Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, for elderly women of limited income. It was established in 1918 by the will of Sallie P. Gibbons, the last survivor of a family which had local Quaker roots. The Home was finally opened in the family house on Baltimore Pike in 1940. The family house was torn down in 1970 to make way for a mall, and the Gibbons Home moved to a new building on Lincoln Avenue in Springfield. In 2000 the assets of the Home were transferred to Presbyterian Homes, and the property was sold. The collection contains legal, property, and financial records of the Gibbons Home, and some Gibbons family memorabilia which was retained when the Home moved to its new location.
Call number: RG4/106
The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Soup House, and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an endowment for free fuel.
Call number: RG4/40
Griscom Hall Association was a Quaker organization which established and ran Griscom Hall, a summer recreational facility for young Quakers in Buck Hill Falls, Pennsylvania. The collection contains correspondence, reports, a history of the Hall and the Association, and other related papers.
Call number: RG4/41
Gwynedd Boarding School was a Quaker boarding school for boys operated by the Foulke family Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. The collection contains an account book (1847-1848), list of students (1853-1860), and material relating to an alumni association (1901).
Call number: RG4/42
The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, Pennsylvania, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
Call number: RG4/83
The Hollywood Children's Summer Home of Baltimore City was a Quaker association established in 1892 to provide a two-week outing in the countryside for poor children of Baltimore City and vicinity. The home was located in Catonsville, Maryland, and members of the Board of Managers and paid staff cared for the children. It was closed in 1917, due to the proliferation of other fresh air charities in Baltimore. The property was sold to St. Vincent de Paul Society, and proceeds donated to the Hollywood Wing of the Children's Hospital School and to the McKim Free Kindergarten. The collection includes minutes, financial records, roll book, and annual reports.
Call number: RG4/79
Home for Destitute Colored Children. See RG4/43: Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.)
The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the minutes of the Board of Managers of the Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, 1859-1907, with a gap from 1860-1899.
Call number: RG4/44
The Howard Institution was a Philadelphia Quaker women's charity founded in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence (1942-1956), administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Call number: RG4/45
In 1983, Anne Marie and Erik Eriksson helped found the Incest Survivors Resource Network International (ISRNI), a Quaker witness educational resource for incest survivors in New York City. After 15 years of operation, the firm filed for dissolution on June 5, 1998. The organization became a committee of the New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. ISRNI was a survivor-initiated organization that encouraged coordinated intervention and integrated treatment programs for incest victims and their families in full cooperation with child protection, law enforcement, and treatment agencies. ISRNI expanded to include the first national and international helpline answered in person by incest-survivors. It was a pioneer in discussing the after effects of incest, female offenders, the vital need for effective treatment programs for juvenile offenders, the role of the mother in father-daughter incest, and the concept of emotional incest. This collection contains documents and materials concerning the Incest Survivors Resource Network International compiled by Anne Marie Eriksson and documents pertaining to other related organizations with which Eriksson was involved.
Call number: RG4/101
The Indian Committees of New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Genesee (Hicksite) united in 1838 to protect the Seneca Indians from the Ogden Land Company which was trying to buy their land. This collection contains papers relating to the joint committee of representatives, including correspondence chiefly concerning the ceding of Seneca lands in New York by treaty under questionable circumstances. Correspondents include Benjamin Ferris (1780-1867).
Call number: RG4/46
Records of the History Committe of the Kendal Residents' Association, an organization of people who live at Kendal at Longwood, a Quaker-sponsored retirement community.
Call number: RG4/118
Minutes and financial records for the "Here a Little, There a Little" Chapter of the King's Daughters, an international Christian philanthropic association. Records are dated from the 1892-1975, with gaps. While this New York chapter was primarily Quaker, the association itself was evangelical Christian in orientation, with Baptist and Congregationalist membership in other parts of the world. Members gathered to read and discuss Bible passages and perform philanthropic work. The latter included donations to the Colored Mission and production of diapers and other garments.
Call number: RG4/99
The Ladies Art Association was founded in 1867 in New York City, and its members were involved in studio art and art education. Many of its members and officers were Quakers. The collection contains the Association's constitution, publicity materials, correspondence (1887-1914), and other records.
Call number: RG4/47
This small collection contains papers relating to the Martha Schofield Scholarship Fund, named after Quaker educator Martha Schofield, and restricted to students from Aiken County, South Carolina.
Call number: RG4/48
The Martin Academy in Kennett, Pennsylvania, was a Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880). The collection contains vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.
Call number: RG4/49
Media Friends Association, a Quaker study and social group, was established in 1894 in Media, Pennsylvania, by members of Providence Preparative Meeting (Hicksite). The goal of the Association was to further discussion and knowledge of the history and testimonies of Friends, and the meetings, which included reports, papers, and readings, were open to all who were interested. The collection contains one volume of minutes, with constitution and by-laws included.
Call number: RG4/85
Media-Providence Friends School was established in 1981 through the merger of two educational institutions, Media Friends' School and Providence Friends School, both located in Media, Pennsylvania. The collection include minutes, financial records, correspondence and other papers, and pictures relating to Media Friends' School (1876-1881), Friends' Select School (Media) which merged with Media Friends' in 1930 (1885-1930), Providence Friends School (1974-1981), and Media-Providence Friends School (1981- ongoing).
Call number: RG4/50
The National Capital Area Association of Friends, an organization established to coordinate actives and resources of Friends in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, was founded in 1971. It succeeded an earlier organization, the Friends Council of the National Capital Area, which was established in 1966 by the Committee on the Organization of Friends in the Washington Metropolitan Area. This collection contains the minutes, financial and other papers concerning the National Capital Area Association of Friends and its predecessors.
Call number: RG4/67
The National Conference of Friends on Race Relations was initiated in 1956 in order to stimulate individual Friends and Quaker meetings to work directly in the field of race relations. Conferences were held at irregular intervals and various locations between 1956 and 1970. The Records include materials from the Conferences of 1961, 1963, 1967, and 1970 and minutes of the initial organizing body, the Executive Committee, and its successor, the Continuation/Continuing Committee. Also included are the files of Vincent Paschkis, Coordinator, and Marian Darnell Fuson, Chairman of the Continuation Committee.
The New York Association of Friends for the Relief of Those Held in Slavery and the Improvement of Free People of Color was a Quaker society in New York City, organized in 1836. Its purpose was to support the abolition of slavery and educational charities for blacks. This small collection contains a minute book (6/1839-5/1843) and loose minutes (1844).
Call number: RG4/51
Formed in 1798 by Quaker women to give aid to the sick poor, the New York Female Association created the first public female school in New York in 1800. Until 1845, it worked with the Free School Society to establish and maintain public schools in New York while also continuing its efforts to help the indigent. Since 1845, the Association has served as a philanthropic committee. The collection includes minutes and financial records.
Call number: RG4/95
Niblick Club. See RG4/55: Ozone Gold Club.
Niles Friends Worls College Collection of Papers. See RG4/116 Friends World College Collection of Papers.
The idea for a North American Quaker Tapestry grew out of a study retreat held at Pendle Hill in Wallingford, Pennsylvania, in 1988. The original Quaker tapestry project began in England in 1981. Anne Wynn-Wilson, its founder, envisioned a series of embroidered panels to celebrate and commemorate significant events in Quaker history. The North American Quaker Project includes at least seven original panels, designed and embroidered by American Friends. An exhibit of these works, together with selected English examples, toured the United States in 1993 and 1994. Records include exhibit panels from the exhibit, blueprints and sketches of the panels, posters, calendars, and commemorative materials, general publicity, and the original Quaker Women Pioneers panel.
Call number: RG4/90
This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Call number: RG4/53
The Novelty was a women's social club founded in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Most of its first members were Quakers and members of Lansdowne Monthly Meeting. The group was established "for the promotion of sociability and good house and home-keeping," according to its by-laws. The records include minutes, 1887-1938 and scattered, 1954, 1982-1984; by-laws and membership lists and attendance, writings by members, histories, and some miscellaneous material.
Call number: RG4/107
Audio cassettes and some transcripts of interviews with 55 Quakers, chiefly born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, between 1889-1910, containing largely autobiographical data as well as information about Quaker life in general, recollections of Chester County, descriptions of farm life and histories of Friends meetings in Chester County. The project was conducted by the Chester County Library District, funded by Chester County Manpower Programs and the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.
Call number: RG4/54
The Ozone Club is a golf association for Quaker men in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, area. It was established in 1901 and included in its membership the presidents of Swarthmore College and other prominent Quakers. The Niblick Club was set-off from the Ozone Club circa 1922 also as a men's golf association with many Quakers in its membership. The Ozone Club records include minute books, pictures, slides, miscellaneous papers. A small amount of records from the Niblick Club is also included with the collection, including annual meeting programs and photos.
Call number: RG4/55
Contains the records, 1968-1987, of Partnership for Productivity, a Quaker-sponsored program in overseas economic development, created to advise small business ventures primarily in African countries. Founded in 1969 by David H. Scull with an initial project in Western Kenya, it was designed to provide capital for loans or investments combined with management counsel and personal supervision through its two organs, the Partnership for Productivity Foundation/ USA, Inc., and the Partnership for Investments/USA, Inc. In December 1986, the Board was forced to liquidate the corporation after a sudden financial crisis created when liabilities caused the enterprise to collapse. Also includes a small amount of miscellaneous papers concerning the donor, A. Keith Smiley, including his statement on "My concern for Right-Sharing of the World's Resource" written in 1990.
Call number: RG4/102
Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a board of managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as a non-degree granting graduate level study center and retreat. In 1930, the name was changed to Pendle Hill, and it moved to its present location. In addition to offering classes and lectures, Pendle Hill publishes pamphlets and other writings on religious and social concerns.
Call number: RG4/66
A Friends Home Association was established in 1891 in New York City. The Penington was acquired in 1899 at 215 15th Street, adjoining 15th Street Meeting House, and serves as a boarding home for Friends and others. In 1983, the Association was reorganized and a new Board was elected. After a major renovation in 1985, the name was changed to Penington Friends House to reflect a return to a more Quakerly style of management. Collection contains minutes, guest registers, reports and miscellaneous records of Friends Home Association and Penington Friends House, 1896-1985.
Call number: RG4/115
Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.
Call number: RG4/56
Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society: See MSS/001/053 (Account Books).
The Pennsylvania Hall Association was a stockholders association formed in 1837 to erect a building in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, dedicated "to Liberty and the Rights of Man." The Hall was erected on 6th Street, between Cherry and Race Streets. Many of the primary movers behind the Association were Quakers involved in the anti-slavery movement. The building was opened on May 14, 1838, and, as a symbol of the abolitionist movement, was destroyed by an angry mob on May 17, 1838. This collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers of the Association, 1838-1847, financial and legal papers, and other related materials concerning the financing and erection of the Hall and the events and litigation which followed its opening and destruction. The destruction of Pennsylvania Hall marked the extreme of anti-abolition violence in the City of Philadelphia, resulting in a reaction which strengthened the cause of anti-slavery. Individuals active in the Association included Daniel Neall, Samuel Webb, and Joseph M. Truman.
Call number: RG4/74
Philadelphia Quaker Women was a organization, informal in structure and membership, which worked with the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends to address the concerns of women. It was laid down in 1970. This collection contains minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous material, 1961-1971.
Call number: RG4/57
Philadelphia Young Friends' Association was a Hicksite organization established in 1888 for educational and social purposes. The Young Friends Association established and operated The Whittier, a hotel and social center in Philadelphia. The name of the Association was changed in 1958 to The Whittier Association. The collection contains minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other records.
Call number: RG4/58
Friends Committee on Unity with Nature (FCUN) grew out of the Workshop on Living in Harmony with the Natural Environment at the FGC Gathering at Oberlin in 1987. In 2001, sixteen North American yearly meetings appointed representatives to its Annual Meeting. In 2003 their name was changed to Quaker Earthcare Witness. The group publishes a newsletter, BeFriending Creation.
Call number: RG4/104
Quakers Uniting in Publications (QUIP) was proposed in 1983 at Pendle Hill, the Quaker conference and study center in Wallingford, Pa. After a series of informal meetings, the first formal meeting was held in February 1984 at Pendle Hill. The group intended to "focus on how to let potential readers know what Quaker books are available and how to get them." This included maintaining databases of Quaker publications, negotiating wholesale prices for the publications, creating forums for editorial concerns and discussions, creating centers for the distribution of Quaker books, holding annual meetings for education, and starting a fund to assist in production and distribution of Quaker publications. The group remians active. The collection consists of the original proposals for QUIP and correspondence surroundings its formation, membership lists, financial records, correspondence, catalogues, and documents relating to the annual and midyear meetings.
Call number: RG4/103.
The collection contains records, 1982-1990, of the Quaker Universalist Fellowship which was founded in 1983 in part as an American response to the London-based Quaker Universalist Group. As stated in publications: "The Quaker Universalist Fellowship is an informal gathering of persons who cherish the spirit of universality that has always been intrinsic to the Quaker faith. " The Fellowship produces annual pamphlets and a journal, Universalist Friends: The Journal of The Quaker Universalist Fellowship.
Call number: RG4/110.
The Quaker Information Center was established in 1990 at Friends Center, Philadelphia, Pa., to provide a central, staffed location for the display and sale of published material and dissemination of information about the Society of Friends. Collection includes minutes, annual reports, correspondence, financial records, and other records. In 2010 the functions of the QIC were transferred to a virtual center mantained by the Earlham School of Religion.
Call number: RG4/117
The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known as the Corporation of the Institute for Colored Youth at Cheyney and the Corporation for Cheyney Training School for Teachers. In 1922, the State of Pennsylvania assumed control of the School, and the corporation changed its name to Richard Humphreys Foundation, with funds from the endowment to be used for promoting education of blacks to become teachers. The collection contains charters and bylaws, minutes of the Corporation and Board of Mangers, annual reports, financial records, correspondence, and other papers.
Call number: RG4/59
The Schofield Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1868 by Martha Schofield (1839-1916), a Pennsylvania Quaker. Her intention initially was to provide education for freed slaves. The School gradually evolved into a boarding school for training young blacks in industrial trades or to become teachers. It was absorbed into the public school system in 1952. The collection contains minutes of the board of trustees (1886-1942), legal documents, financial records, correspondence and other papers.
Call number: RG4/60
Spring Street Settlement: See RG4/35: Friends Neighborhood Guild.
The Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa., in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
Call number: RG4/43
The Swarthmore Refugee Resource House, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1979 by members of Swarthmore Monthly Meeting as a place of temporary assistance for legal refugees in gaining independence by providing them with shelter, counseling, and tutoring in English. The Refugee House was located on the campus of Swarthmore College in a leased building. In 1984, the Board of Directors were joined by members from outside Swarthmore Monthly Meeting. The Swarthmore Refugee House was incorporated in 1988 as a non-profit corporation. However, the House was laid down in 1994 when Swarthmore College reclaimed its building, and the Board was unable to find either sufficient funding or a new space in which to continue to function.
Call number: RG4/88
The Temperance Association of Friends of Media was a Quaker temperance association in Media, Pennsylvania, established in 1883. The records include the constitution, minutes, financial records, correspondence, and related papers.
Call number: RG4/63
The Trenton Friends Association was formed in 1892 in Trenton, New Jersey, to promote "a thorough knowledge of the history and testimonies of the Society of Friends." Meetings were held monthly, except in the summer, in the Trenton Friends meeting house. Papers were presented on a variety of topics. The collection contains minutes, constitution and bylaws, and manuscripts of papers read at meetings.
Call number: RG4/64
Trenton Friends Literary Society was formed by a group of Quakers in Trenton, New Jersey, who met every two weeks at members' homes to discuss books, poetry and lectures. Collection contains Minutes of Trenton Friends Literary Society, 1893-1903. Also includes 1893 essay by Dr. Laura Satterthwaite, entitled "An Appeal for Loyalty to Truth rather than Sect.
Call number: RG4/105
The Union Lyceum, established 1875, was a literary society whose membership consisted primarily of members of the Society of Friends in the Ambler and Gwynedd area of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The records contain minutes, 1875-1900 (gap 1891-1900), and the 25th Anniversary Program.
Call number: RG4/65
By 1845, the number of Quakers living in the State of Virginia had drastically declined. Virginia Yearly Meeting was laid down and the remaining members were attached to Baltimore Yearly Meeting. The 20th century saw renewed growth in numbers of Friends in Virginia. Existing and new meetings were affiliated with five yearly meetings: Baltimore, North Carolina (FUM), Evangelical Friends Church-Eastern Region, North Carolina (Conservative) and Ohio (Conservative). The Virginia Friends Legislative Committee was organized in the early 1960's under the leadership of Albert Turner as an inter-Yearly Meeting association to oppose capital punishment in Virginia. In 1967, a concern was felt to expand that fellowship beyond legislative matters, and the first large-scale All-Virginia Friends Conference was held near Richmond in October. The name was changed in 1975 to the Virginia Friends Conference. The Conference absorbed the former Virginia Friends Legislative Committee after 1968. The Virginia Friends Conference was laid down in 1993 and its assets distributed. Records include minutes of the Virginia Friends Conference, an incomplete set of the minutes of the Virginia Friends Legislative Committee, conference materials, publicity, and correspondence; these files are arranged chronologically. Two additional files in this series contain material relevant to the Virginia Friends Legislative Committee, 1967-68.
Call number: RG4/92
Although Thomas Hooker devised a small plot of land to Friends as early as 1684 and Ann Pemberton deeded adjacent ground in 1833, the State of Maryland confirmed a 1867 deed when it incorporated Trustees for the "Quaker Burial Ground" in Galesville in 1888. This latter group of Trustees was made up of individuals whose families were interred in the ground, not necessarily all Quakers. However, in 1994, their successors petitioned Chesapeake Quarterly Meeting to take responsibility for the site; the Quarterly Meeting approved and appointed three Friends and one of the previous trustees to a new Board. Collection includes minutes of the Trustees, general records, correspondence, financial Records, and miscellaneous. Financial materials include records of lot owners and sale of lots. Historical information is found in Miscellaneous.
Call number: RG4/114
William Penn House functions as a Quaker seminar and hospitality center on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. These records, dating from its founding in 1966 through 2004, document its many activities.
Call number: RG4/119World Council of Churches: See RG5 044: Bliss Forbush World Council of Churches Papers
Founded in 1873 in New York City and incorporated in 1890, the Young Friends' Aid Association, a Quaker organization, sought to provide the destitute with the temporary financial or material aid to help them into financial independence. Substantial aid was given to unemployed fathers, the homeless, and widows with children, and scholarships and student loans were also made available on occasion. The collection includes minutes, lists of members, financial records, and a scrapbook of activities organized by the Association.
Call number: RG4/97
The Young Friends' Association, a Quaker social and study group, was established in Purchase, New York, in 1892. The Association was modeled after a similar organization in Philadelphia and met regularly to discuss topics of mutual interest. The collection contains one bound volume of minutes, 1892-1894.
Call number: RG4/75
Young Friends' Association (Kennett Square, Pa.), a Quaker social and study group, was established in 1892 in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. This collection contains the constitution and minutes, 1892-1905, in one bound volume.
Call number: RG4/76