Swarthmore College Student Activities Records
If an activity has an individual finding aid, it can be accessed by clicking on the name of the organization:
The Somerville Literary Society was a women students' literary organization founded in Swarthmore College in 1871. The purposes of the organization were to discuss literature, strengthen the friendship between its members, and prepare them "for the wider field of action and influence opening to women," according to the group's constitution.
Call number: RG6/Q001
The Delphic Literary Society was a Swarthmore College men's literary society established in 1874. In 1913, the group merged with the Eunomian Society to became the Athenaeum.
Call number: RG6/Q002
The Eunomian Literary Society was a men's debating and speaking club founded at Swarthmore College, Pa., in 1871. In 1913, the group merged with the Delphic Literary Society, forming the Athenaeum. Records include minutes from 1871 to May 1913. Also includes printed copies of the constitution and by-laws and correspondence from 1872 to 1900.
Call number: RG6/Q003
The Little Theater Club was established at Swarthmore College about 1922 to create a stable foundation for theatrical projects and coordinate productions on campus. No course credit was given for participation. After Swarthmore created a Drama Department in 1968/69, the Little Theater Club became inactive.
Call number: RG6/Q004
Book and Key was a Swarthmore College men's secret honor society established circa 1906 and modeled after the secret societies at Yale University. It was active at Swarthmore College from until 1957.
Call number: RG6/Q005
The Black Cultural Center was founded in 1969 and is located on the campus of Swarthmore College. The BCC serves as a home for a number of organizations on campus including SASS (Swarthmore African-American Student Society), Gospel Choir, and Mjumbe, a literary magazine representing black students.
Call number: RG6/Q006
The Swarthmore Warders of Imaginative Literature, Swarthmore College's science fiction and fantasy club, was formed in 1979. The club regularly organizes showings of science fiction and fantasy movies, short story readings, and occasionally brings writers to speak at Swarthmore.
Call number: RG6/Q007
Phi Beta Kappa is the nation's oldest honor society, founded to promote academic excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. The Swarthmore College Chapter, Epsilon of Pennsylvania, of the Phi Beta Kappa Society began as a preliminary organization in 1893. After receiving its charter in 1895, it became a full chapter in 1896. In its early years it included a number of alumni retroactively elected to the Society. The Swarthmore Chapter remains active.
Call number: RG6/Q008
Now a local fraternity at Swarthmore College, Phi Psi began as Pennsylvania Kappa, a chapter of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Pennsylvania Kappa was established in 1889 and was a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi until 1963. Starting in 1948, members of Pennsylvania Kappa became concerned about the ability of other chapters to prevent pledges from becoming fraternity brothers, especially if this power was used for racial discrimination. After failing to amend the fraternity's constitution at national meetings in 1960 and 1962, Pennsylvania Kappa surrendered its charter in 1963, becoming the third Swarthmore fraternity to go local. It operated for a time as Phi Omicron Psi before becoming Phi Psi. The local fraternity continues to the present.
Call number: RG6/Q009
Sixteen Feet (Musical Group)
Founded in 1981, the college's a cappella group recorded its first album, "In the Still of the Night," in 1983.
Call number: RG6/Q010
The Swarthmore College Radio Club, founded before 1933, was reorganized in 1939. It was open to all students interested in short wave radio communication. The club had its own transmitter and operated station W3YJ, affiliated with the American Radio Relay League. In 1940, the Radio Club began to sponsor the Swarthmore Network, a wired wireless station on the commercial broadcast band. The station acquired its current call letters, WSRN, sometime before 1952; it was a member of the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS).
Call number: RG6/Q011
Swarthmore College Glee Club was an auditioned, all-male vocal group. It was founded in 1888 as a coeducational ensemble, but by 1893 it was a men's group.
Call number: RG6/Q012
Kappa Alpha Theta was the first national Greek letter fraternity for women. The Alpha Beta Chapter at Swarthmore College was established in 1891 and ceased to exist in 1933 when the College abolished sororities.
Call number: RG6/Q013
Delta Upsilon, along with Phi Psi, is one of the two currently surviving Greek letter fraternities at Swarthmore College (2007). The Swarthmore Chapter of Delta Upsilon (DU) was established on March 3, 1894.
Call number: RG6/Q014
The Swarthmore College Athletic Association was an organization that served in various administrative roles and functions relating to men's athletics at Swarthmore College from 1877 to circa 1939.
Call number: RG6/Q015
Phi Sigma Kappa (Fraternity)
Founded in 1906, the Phi Chapter at Swarthmore College was discontinued in 1991.
Call number: RG6/Q16
Kappa Sigma (Fraternity)
The Swarthmore Chapter of Kappa Sigma was suspended from the national fraternity in 1962 because it attempted to propose a non-discriminatory membership amendment ot the fraternity's constitution.
Call number: RG6/Q017
Tau Alpha Omicron/Phi Delta Theta (Fraternity)
The Swarthmore Chapter of Phi Delta Theta's charter was revoked in 1958 because they sought to remove the national organization's membership restrictions against African-Americans, Asians, Jews, and non-Christians; its name was changed to Tau Alpha Omicron.
Call number: RG6/Q018
Pi Sigma (Sorority)
Call number: RG6/Q019
Phoenix (Student Newspaper)
A successor to Geological Weekly, the Swarthmore Phoenix was first published as a monthly newspaper in December of 1881. This journal was named after the mythological bird because it was founded in the year that Parrish Hall was destroyed by fire and rebuilt. In 1919 the Phoenix received the first prize of the Intercollegiate Newspaper Association when Drew Pearson was Editor. It continues to be issued weekly during the academic year.
Call number: RG6/Q020
Small Craft Warnings/Nulset Review (Literary Magazine)
The Nulset Review was a bi-yearly journal of the creative arts at Swarthmore, first published in 1976. It was replaced by Small Craft Warnings in 1980; the latter continues to the present day.
Call number: RG6/Q021
Pi Beta Phi (Sorority)
Call number: RG6/Q022
Call number: RG6/Q023
Ye Monks of the Black Cowl (Club)
Call number: RG6/Q024
Sigma Xi (Science Honor Society)
Call number: RG6/Q025
Delta Sigma Rho (Debate Society)
Call number: RG6/Q026
Delta Gamma (Sorority)
Call number: RG6/Q027
Chi Omega (Sorority)
Call number: RG6/Q028
Joseph Leidy Scientific Society
Call number: RG6/Q029
United Scions of the Aristocracy (Club)
Call number: RG6/Q030
Noon Meditation Group
Call number: RG6/Q031