Records of Related Organizations at Swarthmore College
Individual finding aids may be accessed by clicking on the name of the organization:
The Arthur Hoyt Scott Horticultural Foundation was established at Swarthmore College in 1929 as a memorial to Arthur Hoyt Scott (1874-1927). The intention of the Foundation was to focus on plantings appropriate to Eastern Pennsylvania, creating a practical "garden of ideas" for amateur gardeners while at the same time improving the campus. The name was changed to the Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College in 1986.
Call number: RG6/S001
Inaugurated October 24, 1931, the Benjamin West Society was dedicated to promoting the arts at Swarthmore College and to promoting the memory of painter Benjamin West (1738-1820) whose traditional birthplace is on the campus of Swarthmore College. The Society organized annual lectures on art and exhibits, and each year sent its members an art print. Its activities were lead by a small group of officers, particularly New York Quaker art dealer, Frederic Newlin Price, a Swarthmore College graduate. The organization was disbanded in 1954. The Benjamin West Memorial Lecture series was continued, supported by the income from a donation made by Price.
Call number: RG6/S002