Records of the Swarthmore College Corporation
Please click here for detailed finding aid. Records have restricted access.
In 1862 the New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore Yearly Meetings of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite) appointed members from each Meeting to undertake formal planning for the establishment of a jointly-sponsored institution of higher education. A Board of Managers was appointed from this group, which would become the Friends Education Association, for the purposes of assigning committees for the drafting of a charter, procuring the necessary act of incorporation, obtaining a design for a seal and to agree upon and secure a location for the proposed institution. On April 1, 1864, the Act of Incorporation of Swarthmore College was approved by the Pennsylvania State Legislature and work continued to raise funds to establish and construct the College. All paid up members of the Friends Educational Association became automatic stockholders in the Corporation. On December 6, 1864, the Friends Educational Association was merged into Swarthmore College, effectively creating a single institution with stockholders of that corporation. Stockholders met annually to elect the Board of Managers. The first College session began on October 21, 1869, with 180 students in attendance.
Records of the Corporation document the founding of Swarthmore College, its preceding bodies and founding committees, charter and amendments, records of stockholders and stockholders' associations, the incorporators and the first Board of Managers.
Organization of the Records of the Corporation:
Charter and related documents, 1864-1964
Founding committees and predecessor bodies to the Corporation, 1854-1868
Stockholders of Swarthmore College
Swarthmore Stock Trust Association (Swarthmore Stock Association)