Records of Academic Departments of Swarthmore College
Please click on the name of the Department to access individual finding aids:
Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; subsequently there was a separate Department of Astronomy until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy in the mid 1980's. The collection contains administrative files, departmental scrapbooks, correspondence, information on symposia and assemblies of the International Astonomical Union, and miscellaneous records. Includes substantial information on eclipses and extensive correspondence with astronomers throughout the world.
Call number: RG6/J001