Reading Room Instructions
Requesting materials in the Library
For books listed in Tripod that are not marked as reference, fill out a call slip or print the information on the screen and present it to the person on reference duty. Be sure to fill out the entire call number correctly in the upper left corner, with the title and author and your name in the appropriate blanks. For microfilm of meeting records, fill out a yellow slip. Due to the fragility of the original records, we require that you use microfilm whenever available. Microfilm must be paged by a staff member.
All of the books shelved in the Reading Room are marked "Reference" and may be taken off the shelf by our patrons. When you are finished with a volume, please place it on the black cart next to the reference desk.
Friends Historical Library is a reference library, and, as a general rule, materials do not circulate.
- At the far end of the microfilm room, there are three reader-printers available for making copies from microfilm. The cost is 50¢ per per printed page from these reader/printers. One of the reader-printers can accomodate the use of researcher-supplied usb drives; please see the link for Obtaining Digital Surrogates for further information. There is a facilities fee for using either a usb drive or a hand-held camera.
- The regular photocopier is located on the lower level, next to the Peace Collection, under the stairs. Please check with the desk assistant for permission to photocopy specific materials. The cost is 15¢ per image for regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper, 20¢ for acid free 8 1/2" x 11" and 25¢ for 8 1/2" x 14" and 30¢ for 11" x 17". Visitors may not use the photocopier in McCabe Library. Please keep track of the number of copies and pay the desk assistant at the end of your day.
- Digital reproductions of most visual materials can also be supplied by special arrangement.
- Please read the information on copyright that is provided on the copier and on the Rules for Researchers information sheet. Researchers are expected to abide by copyright restrictions. Anyone who is making copies of original manuscripts or archival records, even for personal use, must complete the copyright acknowledgement form.
- A statement of Photoreproduction Policies and Fees is available.
Rest rooms are located in the main College Library (McCabe), either one floor above or one floor below the Reading Room of Friends Historical Library; please follow the signs on each floor. There is an elevator past the McCabe Circulation desk for use by handicapped visitors.