Photocopying Policies and Fees
1. Photocopying is allowed by Friends Historical Library for research purposes only. Certain restricted or fragile material cannot be copied. The Library may limit the number of pages or items which can be copied from any manuscript collection, or archival group. Anyone making copies of manuscripts or archival records, whether photocopying, scanning, or with a hand-held camera, must sign the copyright acknowledgement form.
2. Copyrighted material may only be reproduced in accordance with regulations as specified by copyright law. Researchers using the Library assume legal responsibility for observing these regulations and agree to idemnify the Library for any liability incurred through their use of the Library's holdings.
3. Reproductions of publications, manuscripts, photographs, and other library material cannot be used by researchers for publication in any format without due regard for copyright and other legal restrictions. Permission to copy does not constitute permission to publish. Publication privileges may be secured only upon the joint authorization of the Curator of Friends Historical Library and the holder of the literary property rights.
4. Visitors to Friends Historical Library may copy certain material personally at the photocopier in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection (downstairs from FHL):
8-1/2" x 11" (recycled paper) = 15 cents / copy image
8-1/2" x 11" (acid-free paper) = 20 cents / copy image
8-1/2" x 14" (acid-free paper) = 25 cents / copy image
11" x 17" (acid-free paper) = 30 cents / copy image
Photocopies from microfilm may be made at the microfilm reader/printer located in the Friends Historical Library. Rates are as follows:
Microfilm reader-printer = 50 cents / copy
We ask that you include in your count of copies your own mistakes, excluding those which are unacceptable because of machine problems. Fragile or tightly bound materials may or may not be able to be copied by Friends Historical Library staff. Staff copying rates will apply.
5. For material which must be copied by Friends Historical Library staff (including all mail requests), charges will be made at the following rates:
Regular photocopies: A minimum fee of $5.00 covers five pages of copy (including postage). Additional pages are 50 cents per exposure. Please remember that photocopies of original manuscripts are dependent on condition; please email or call the Library before sending a check.
Photocopies from microfilm: The minimum fee of $5.00 covers three photoprints. Additional prints are $1.00 each.
Reproductions of images: Rates by special arrangement, to be determined according to the nature of the request.
Checks should be made payable to "Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College," and mailed to Friends Historical Library, Swarthmore College, 500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
6. Anyone who has permission from the Library staff to use their own hand-held camera or to scan images on microfilm to their own usb drive must pay a $5.00 daily facilities fee. The Library also normally charges a use fee for each image from its collections published in any format. This fee may be waived for certain academic and non-profit uses. Inclusion of full information regarding the intended use when writing for permission to publish will assist the staff in determining whether such charges can be waived.
7. Large orders (more than 25 copies) are subject to the approval of the Curator and the availability of staff time. Rates for such orders are determined by special arrangement and may be higher than the charges listed above.
For more information, please contact us.