Students at Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College who wish to pursue elementary teacher certification through the joint program at Swarthmore and Eastern Colleges must meet the following requirements:
Required courses at Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr and Haverford
- EDUC 014 Introduction to Education (at Swarthmore) or Education 200 Critical Issues in Education (at BMC/HC)
- Developmental Psychology (either campus) or EDUC 121: Psychology and Practice (at Swarthmore)
- EDUC 021 Educational Psychology (at Swarthmore)*
- EDUC 042 Teaching Diverse Learners (at Swarthmore)*
- EDUC/PSYC 026 Special Education or EDUC 210 Perspectives on Special Education (at BMC/HC)
- EDUC 053 Language Minority Education or EDUC 275 English Learners in U.S. Schools (at BMC/HC)
- EDUC 016 Practice Teaching (at Swarthmore, 2 credits)
- EDUC 017 Curriculum and Methods (at Swarthmore, 2 credits)
- 3 credit hours of college level English Literature**
- 6 credit hours of college level mathematics**
During senior year, Practice Teaching and Curriculum and Methods must be taken together during the semester that they are offered. We strongly recommend that students do not take any other courses during the student teaching semester.
*These courses must be taken at Swarthmore, even if similar courses have been taken at other institutions. Students must register the semester before so that spaces will be held for them in these classes.
** One Swarthmore, BMC or HC class is equivalent to 4 credit hours. In the case of the math requirement, courses outside of mathematics/statistics that fulfill natural science division distribution requirements can be substituted. AP credit for scores of four or five in English literature, calculus AB or AB/BC or statistics will be accepted as equivalent to one course. Scores of six or seven on the Higher Level IB exams are also considered equivalent to one course. Math scores of 560 or better on the SAT Level 1 or SAT II math level IC or IIC exam will be accepted as the equivalent of three credit hours. A CLEP test can also be used to meet these math or English requirements.
Certification requires three additional credit hours in English composition, which are met by the existing general distribution requirements for college graduation. Students must complete 48 credit hours (12 College credits) to be admitted to the certification program. Certification requires an overall grade point average of 3.0 or the ability to meet the 2.8 GPA qualifying score on the appropriate PRAXIS content exam. During student teaching, students will complete the PAPA and PRAXIS certification exams.
Required courses from Eastern College
- EDU 380 Communication Arts for Children
- EDU 401 Teaching of Reading
These courses are offered on Swarthmore's campus and usually run mid-May to mid-June for five weeks, meeting twice a week. Students normally take them between their sophomore and junior years or between their junior and senior years. The cost for the two courses was $3,170 in 2011; it will probably increase gradually each year. Financial aid may be available; students should consult with the Department Chair.
Praxis Exams and PECT Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA).
Praxis Exams: The schedule for the exams comes out mid-summer.
Required: Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
PECT Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA)
Webpage with information here: http://www.pa.nesinc.com/Home.aspx.
Required for: PreK-4 + K4-8