- born February 15, 1939
- two children
- Ohio Wesleyan University B.A. 1960 Philosophy
- Yale University Divinity School 1961 Theology
- Ohio State University M.A. 1963 Political Science
- Yale University M.A., Ph.D. 1968 Political Science
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Distinction on Ph.D. Dissertation
- Executive Committee, American Political Science Association, 1992-94
- Executive Committee, IO Section, International Studies Association, 1993-6
Fellowships and Grants:
- National Defense Education Fellow (1961-63)
- Yale International Relations Grant
- Danforth Teaching Intern (1963-67)
- Foreign Area Fellow (1965-67)
- Social Science Research Council (1969)
- The American Philosophical Society (1971)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (1973)
- Guggenheim Fellow (1974)
- Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (1975)
- Rockefeller Fellow in International Conflict (1979)
- Heinz Endowment (1982)
- German Marshall Fund Fellow (1986)
- Pew Faculty Fellowship, Harvard (1993)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1995 - Italy: Distinguished Chair, International Economics)
- Lang Faculty Fellowship (1998-99)
See them in this link
- Department of Political Science, Swarthmore College, 1967-; Professor, 1978-.
- 2000-01 Acting Chair, Department of Political Science
- 1998-99 Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
- 1989-96 Director, Public Policy Program
- 1987-90 Chair, Department of Political Science
- 1984-88 Director, Food Policy Program
- 1984-85 Visiting Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C.
- 1983-84 Acting Chair, Department of Political Science
- 1982-83 Visiting Scholar, Food Research Institute, Stanford University
- 1975 Research Fellow, Center for International Affairs, Harvard University
- 1974-75 Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, D.C.
- 1973-74 Director, Center for Social and Policy Studies
- 1971 Research Associate, University of Nairobi, Kenya
- 1970-71 Visiting Research Associate, Indiana University
- 1969 Research Associate, Summer, Harvard University, Center for International Affairs
- 1968 Visiting Scholar, Summer, University of Michigan
- 1965-66 Research Associate, University College, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- 1964 Summer, Arms Control and Disarmament Agency--Special Study on Europe directed by Karl Deutsch
- 1963 Summer, Special study of Federal Reserve System, commissioned by Hon. Wright Patman, directed by Harvey Mansfield
- 1962 Intern, Summer, Ohio Democratic Headquarters, work on Governor DiSalle's re-election campaign
- 1960-61 Assistant Pastor, Newfield Methodist Church; Aide, Yale Psychiatric Institute
Temporary Teaching Appointments:
- Visiting Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1976, 1977, 1979.
- Visiting Professor of Political Science, Columbia University, 1980.
- Visiting Professor of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, 1985.
- Visiting Fulbright Distinguished Chair in International Economics, University of Tuscia, Viterbo, Italy, 1995.
Testimony before Congress:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Africa, 1986.
- House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, Subcommittee on Natural Resources, Agricultural Research and Environment, 1989.
- House Select Committee on Hunger, "Restructuring Food Aid: Time for a Change?" Hearing held in Washington, D.C., June 22, 1989, Serial No. 101-9 (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1989).
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on International Economic Policy and Trade, "Improving Food Aid: The Rationale for Reform in PL480," Washington, D.C., April 18, 1990.
Research and Professional Service:
- Board of Editors, Simulation & Games, 1977-1980.
- Board of Editors, Comparative Strategy, 1979-1987.
- Board of Editors, International Political Economy Yearbook, 1984-2000.
- U.S. State Department, 1977-78.
- U.S. Agency for International Development, 1979-83, 1988-94.
- World Food Programme (Rome), 1985-86, 1990-91, 1994-96.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (Rome), 1983-87.
- World Bank, 1988-1992.
- CARE, 1979, 1993, 2000.