Over the years, the Philadelphia Stock Exchange has had a variety of names and office locations.
At its founding in 1790, the Board of Brokers was located in the Merchants Coffee House, also known as the City Tavern, at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets.
This building was severely damaged by a fire in 1834, but fortunately, in 1831, Stephen Girard’s bank had formed the Philadelphia Merchant’s Exchange Company to erect a new building to house the Board of Brokers and other groups. In 1832, the Exchange began to build its headquarters based on drawings by William Strickland. The Board of Brokers moved into the Merchants Exchange building in 1834 following the fire in the Coffee House.
In 1875, the Board
of Brokers changed its name to the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, but this name
changed a few times in the 1950s and 60s as the exchange merged with other
regional exchanges. In 1876, the
exchange moved to the rear of the
In 1888, the stock
exchange moved to the
Between 1902 and
1912, the PHLX returned to the
In 1913, it moved to a building at 1411 Walnut St. This building was recently converted into residential apartments.
In 1951, the PHLX moved to the Central Penn Bank Building at 1401 Walnut Street. Today, this building is used for a retail store and offices. It stayed there until 1966 when it moved to a building (currently the Sofitel Hotel) at 17th and Sansom.
In December 1968,
response to a fiscal crisis,
In 1981, the PHLX moved to its current location at 19th and Market.