Project: Land Management
This project will explore land management, most specifically in areas of environmental degradation. Centered near Kumasi in peri-urban locations, the student will develop research on a variety of issues surrounding land ownership and resources. Conflicts over accessed land and titles, competition for family land, gender relations, and social development will all be explored. The student will discover the manner in which tenure arrangements are created and how men and women have access to land for different reasons. Political issues will also be imperative to this project's development.
Among several other questions, the student could explore the following:
· Who controls the land? What are the conditions of each plot of land in a certain region?
· How does one gain access to land? How is land allocated? Are the requirements the same for men and women?
· Is land access dependent upon marriage/family status?
· Should the government register and distribute land? What problems are created by such allocation?
· Are there other modes of access? How could these changes be initiated?