Project/Paper ideas for classes
This page has project and paper ideas for the following classes.
Linear Physical Systems Analysis
- Develop an FFT algorithm
- Spider on a spider web
- Fluid-flow measurement using the bolus method
- System ID for hand following target
- Triple pendulum
- Control of temperature in box
- Improve model of hot-box to account for changing density and specific heat
of air with temperature
- Do system identification of straw-bale house using time domain (i.e. convolution)
instead of frequency domain techniques.
- Do system identification of straw-bale house using frequency domain (i.e.
Fourier) instead of time domain techniques.
- Redo analysis of data from a previous lab using least squares minimization
- Determine friction coefficient of pendula from the double pendulum lab
- 2nd order temperature in box w/ Styrofoam peanut on thermocouple
- Hot rod
- Build an analog computer
- Investigate filtering of signals in 2 dimensions (i.e. images)
- Extend the "beads on a string" system to infinitesimal masses and distances
and solve the resulting partial differential equation.
- Make a Matlab animation of some physical system - perhaps one of the vibratory
systems from earlier in the semester (the double pendulum is one example).
- Analyze and simulate the double pendulum without the small angle approximation.
- Two dimensional convolutions - image processing.
- Compartmental modeling
Fundamentals of Digital
- Design a simple filter in VHDL (averaging?)
- Design a correlator in VHDL - an application is DNA sequence analysis
- Use PIC to do some simple digital signal processing
- Build a printed circuit board to implement an alarm clock using LCD (or
LED) and PIC.
- Implement a serial port in VHDL and connect to computer.
- Implement a buffered serial I/O on PIC using interrupts and RS-232 port.
- Design a very simple (4 bit?) processor in VHDL
- Generate a band-limited white noise source (PIC or VHDL)
- Write code to play music with PIC using interrupts and buzzer.
- Implement DTMF (Dual Tone-Multiple Frequency) on PIC using keypad to get
same tones as a touch-tone phone.
- Control the angle of a motor using PIC and shaft encoder
- Display image on moving LED's
- Build a reaction timer using VHDL
- Fuzzy logic for control.
- Neural nets for control.
- Implement controller with programmable logic
- Optimal control.
- DSP processors, and their use in control systems.
- Control of non-linear systems.
- Adaptive control.
- Efficient computer implementation of discrete controllers (the last 2-3
weeks will involve discrete control).
- Examine a specific system and design and implement a controller.
- Derive Mason's gain formula.
- Derive the Routh-Hurwitz criterion.
- Derive relationships for observability and/or controllability.
- Derive Ackerman's formula
E71 Discrete Time Systems
- Implement the FFT on a DSP processor
- Study adaptive filters and implement one.
- Program the DSP processor to implement a DTMF coder and/or decoder.
- Study wavelets, and demonstrate their use
- Explore computer vision techniques based on DSP principles
- How can DSP algorithms be implemented on Gate Arrays.
- Implement a filter in Verilog
- Describe, in some depth, architectural features of our DSP
processor designed particularly for DSP work, and write some code to
- Write a very efficient (assembly language) FIR filter for a DSP
- Code up a prime factor FFT (Matlab or C)
- Report on the advantages of Delta-Sigma (oversampling) D/A and A/D convertors
- Create a filter design package that generates source code for the DSP (ie,
given a specified frequency response, the package generates a
program that will implement that filter)
- Design a system that performs either µ-law or A-law companding, then test
- Construct a system that produces band-limited white noise. This would be
very useful for the department for a wide variety of purposes.
- Perform data compression using Linear Predictive Coding, Huffman Coding,
or some other compression algorithm.
- Show how quantization affects pole location in various realizations of IIR
- Explore how quantization affect the performance of FIR
- Description (and implementation?) of Parks-McClellan algorithm for filter
- Research/Implement Linear Predictive Coding
- Research Speech Analysis (tools and techniques used).
- Implement an IIR filter on a fixed point DSP processor and investigate scaling
- How can approximately linear phase IIR filters be designed.
- Detect the location of a sound by employing multiple microphones (or use
multiple speakers to "steer" sound).
- Build hardware for an electronic load for engine in basement.
- Software/Hardware for logging of data over the web.
- Eye position detection
- Pupil size monitor
- Median Frequency of muscle firing
- ECG simulator w/ 60 Hz and random noise
- Foveated eye with VOR compensation (vision/hardware/software).
- Data acquisition network for HelioSystem (in solar lab)
- USB-based device for data acquistion and/or control.
- Implement a wireless network using Bluetooth
- Build artificial finger, w/ blood supply, for oximetry experiments
- Test artificial finger with hemoglobin, bilirubin
- New chassis (electromechanical) components for micromouse.
- Genetic algorithms for analog circuit design (hardware or software)