E11 Lab 1 Report
This lab does not have a formal report, you should simply turn in the information requested. Include a title page with title of lab, the names of people in your group, the day the lab was performed, and the day you turned in the lab. You should feel free to include handwritten sections if it is quicker than formatting equations, or making computer drawings...
If you are having a lot of trouble with part of the report, please come see me. I don't want the writing of the lab report to be an exercise in frustration, so if you get stuck, please don't hesitate to ask for help. Also, if you find you are missing some data, or it just doesn't make sense, please talk to me before finishing your report.
1) Verification of ohms law (part 1 of lab):
2) Use Matlab to plot one cycle of a cosine wave (part 3 of lab):
3) Voltage, Current, Ammeters and Voltmeters
Answer the following briefly, at most one or two sentences for each.
- If the voltmeter is to give an accurate reading of a voltage without affecting the circuit being measured, does it behave as an open circuit, or a short circuit? Explain.
- If the ammeter is to give an accurate reading of current without effecting the circuit being measured, does it behave as an open circuit, or a short circuit? Explain.
Redraw the circuit shown with an ammeter and a voltmeter included such that the current through R1 and the voltage across R2 are being measured. What reading would you expect from each meter?
Repeat (c) but measure the total current through both R1 and R2 combined, and the battery voltage. What reading would you expect from each meter?
- Briefly explain the difference between voltage and current.
4) The Function Generator and oscilloscope:
Answer the following briefly, one sentence for each. The voltage and time scales are the same for all of the images shown below. The trigger occurs in the middle of the screen.
- Consider Images IIa1 and IIa2. If you know that only an adjustment to the function generator was made, what was that adjustment?
Image IIa1 Image IIa2
- Consider Images IIa1 and IIa2. If you know that the only difference has to do with the coupling mode of the oscilloscope, which mode is active in each image?
- Consider Images IIc1 and IIc2.. What single adjustment to the triggering of the oscilloscope would go from one to the other?
Image IIc1 Image IIc2
- Consider Image IId1 and Image IId2. What single adjustment to the triggering of the oscilloscope would go from one to the other?
Image IId1 Image IId2
5) Besting the Professional Engineers
Read my page describing a solution to a design problem.
Show your well documented Matlab script that solves the problem (i.e., finds R1, R2, R3) for the case
Show your circuit in MultiSim along with the results of a simulation that verifies your solution. Make sure you label the input and output voltages.
(Note: Part c is optional and is worth an extra 5 points
(out of 100).)
Solve the two cases below for R1, R2 and R3 (no MultiSim needed). Clearly explain difficulties (if any) that you might have if you tried to implement the solutions.
Here is a link to the grading sheet I will use, so you can see how much each part of the lab is worth.
You may use any portion of this document for your lab report, but be sure to reference it.
email me with any comments on how to improve the information on this page (either presentation or content), or to let me know if you had any particular difficulties with this lab.