Pennsylvania Peace Society Records, 1866-1928
Collection: DG 031
Swarthmore College Peace Collection
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081-1399
Telephone: (610) 328-8557 (Curator)
Fax: (610) 328-8544
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Curator)
Swarthmore College Peace Collection
Pennsylvania Peace Society
Pennsylvania Peace Society Records
Language of Materials
Materials in English
10 linear inches [papers only]
Organizations with the name Pennsylvania Peace Society existed as early as 1822. The records in this collection date from the late 19th century and into the first years of the 20th century. Material about earlier versions of the PPS maybe found in the records of the American Peace Society (DG 003); and in the records of the Universal Peace Union (DG 038).
Restrictions to Access
Yes, box 1 and 2 of this collection are off -site
Alternate Form of Material
Yes, on microfilm reel 82
Gift of Arabella Carter, 1932
Collection re-processed and checklist revised by Anne Yoder, April 2003; Finding aid prepared by Chloe Lucchesi- Malone August 2009
[Identification of item], in the Pennsylvania Peace Society Records (DG 031), Swarthmore College Peace Collection
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law
Online Catalog Headings
These and related materials may be found under the following headings in online library/archival catalogs.
See tripod record
American Peace Society Records (DG 003)
Universal Peace Union Records (DG 038)
Organizations with the name Pennsylvania Peace Society existed as early as 1822. The records in this collection date from the late 19th century and into the first years of the 20th century. Material about earlier versions of the PPS maybe found in the records of the American Peace Society (DG 003). The Pennsylvania Peace Society (PPS) was formed in 1866 as a state branch of the Universal Peace Union (UPU). The Pennsylvania Peace Society had its roots in peace societies in Pennsylvania as early as 1822 [click here for more information (Appendix A)]. Its officers often held membership or duties in both the Pennsylvania Peace Society and the Universal Peace Union. For instance, Arabella Carter, a Quaker, served as business manager for the Universal Peace Union and as secretary of the Pennsylvania Peace Society; Alfred Love was founder of the Universal Peace Union and President of the Pennsylvania Peace Society. Several women served as Presidents and Vice-Presidents of the Pennsylvania Peace Society, including Lucretia Mott, who was the Society's third President (ca. 1870-1880).
The activities of the Pennsylvania Peace Society included holding peace fairs, neighborhood "parlor" meetings, musical programs featuring the Peace Band, Mother's Peace Days, lectures on peace and internationalism, and war relief work, which included knitting woolen garments as well as raising funds for food relief. The Pennsylvania Peace Society championed the cause of temperance, worked for the elimination of boxing bouts, the regulation of firearms, and the abolition of capital punishment, and attempted to uplift public morality through education in public schools. It also gave tacit approval to woman suffrage. The minute books record the debates occasioned by often ambivalent goals and objectives as the Pennsylvania Peace Society struggled to maintain an identity separate from the well-known Universal Peace Union.
The Pennsylvania Peace Society sought to spread its principles through dissemination of its printed materials, public meetings, the issuance of memorials, and letter-writing campaigns to local, state and national leaders. It disbanded in 1928.
This collection, until it was reprocessed in April 2003, contained material from its possible predecessor groups (though there is no indication that there were any ties between the groups other than bearing the same organizational name), which were divided into four series:
I -- Pennsylvania Peace Society, 1823-1829
II -- Pennsylvania Peace Society, 1839
III -- Pennsylvania Peace Society, 1850-1851
IV -- Pennsylvania Peace Society, 1866-1928
This material, as so arranged, was microfilmed under N.E.H. Grant #RC 27706-77-739. For the finding aid that relates to this microfilmed material, click here (Appendix B). After looking closely at the entire collection, it was decided to de-accession Series I-III, and place the few items into their proper place in the SCPC's Restricted collections. These consist of The Advocate of Peace (1823-1824) and Advocate of Peace and the Christian Patriot (1829); a brief note about the 2nd Pennsylvania Peace Society written by a Peace Collection archivist; Proceedings of the Convention of the Friends of Peace of the State of Pennsylvania (1850), a circular announcing the first annual meeting of the PPS (1851), and Proceedings of the Pennsylvania Peace Society at its First Annual Meeting (1851).
The material that is left in this collection consists of that which is by and about the PPS that started in 1866. It consists of three minute books about the Society's meetings (1892-1928); loose material that was removed from the minute books; and various publications, letters, manuscripts and notes, etc. Five ribbons were removed to the Button/Pin/Ribbon Collection.
See also the records of the Universal Peace Union (DG 038) and the American Peace Society (DG 003) for more information about the PPS.
The 1846 "To the Women of the city of Philadelphia, and of the United States generally, the friendly address of the undersigned women inhabitants of the City of Exeter in England ," which is a 28.5 feet scroll with 1,623 signatures, has been removed to the SCPC Restricted area. It includes an unpublished draft reply from Lucretia Mott titled "From the Women of Philadelphia: U.S.A. ..." (1846). Ellen Starr Brinton wrote an unpublished manuscript about the creation of the scroll, which was a response to the U.S.-Canadian border dispute ("54 degrees - 40 degrees or fight") of the time.
Arrangement of Collection
The records are in chronological order.
Detailed Description of the Collection
Box 1 off-site
Minute Book [bound], 1893 - January 1908
Minute Book [bound], January 1908 (continued) - 1916
Minute Book ]bound], 1917-1928
Box 2 off-site
Loose material removed from Minute Book (1896-1908): letters, reports, etc., 1895-1906
Loose material removed from Minute Book (1896-1908): letters, reports, etc., 1907
Loose material removed from Minute Book (1896-1908): letters, reports, etc., 1908-1916
Loose material removed from Minute Book (1908-1916): minutes of Parlor / Neighborhood meetings, 1911-1913
Radical Peace Convention, November 1868
Miscellaneous manuscripts and letters, 1894-1911
Miscellaneous letters, 1912-1918
Meeting minutes, May 20, 1913; resolution, October 20-1914; meeting minutes, 1917
Meeting minutes, January- June 1918
Meeting minutes, 1919-1926; field work report, no date; donations received for war relief; Miscellaneous
Constitution, publications, newsclippings, Miscellaneous, 1866-1914
Correspondence and notes re: ribbons [ribbons removed to Button/Pin/Ribbon Collection]